WORCESTER, Mass. – August 27, 2019 – Lauring Construction, a third-generation general contracting and construction management firm, announced the start of construction on the 41,000 SF Health Sciences Building at Assumption College. A groundbreaking was held on May 10 and construction will be completed for the fall 2020 semester.
A private, Roman Catholic, liberal arts college that offers undergraduate and graduate degrees, Assumption has an enrollment of about 2,117.
For the Health Sciences Building, Lauring has completed site demolition, relocated utilities, and excavated in preparation of the foundations, which, because the building is being built into a hill, required Lauring to dig 18 feet into the ground. The foundations are roughly 90 percent complete and Lauring has begun to erect structural steel.
A small parking lot for the Emmanuel d’Alzon Library was removed and will be replaced with a new driveway and parking lot.
“I am pleased and confident in the leadership of Lauring Construction as they embark on this new project—the second such in three years—to construct a new, state-of-the-art academic facility in which we will form future nurses and health care professionals who will not only treat ailments and illnesses, but will learn to understand and respect the dignity of the human person.” said Francesco C. Cesareo, Ph.D., president of Assumption College.
Lauring has constructed a number of impressive facilities on campus for over 40 years. Recent projects include the construction of the new 64,000sf Tsotsis Family Academic Center, the hub of academic life on campus; the Tinsley Campus Ministry Center (an addition to the Chapel of the Holy Spirit); and various renovations to residence halls.
“In nearly every area of campus, one has the opportunity to marvel at the expertise of Lauring Construction, who has continuously realized our ambitious vision to provide exemplary learning facilities,” added Cesareo.
The project team includes:
• Owner: Assumption College
• General Contractor: Lauring Construction
• Architect: Nault Architects
• Mechanical and Plumbing Engineer: Seaman Engineering
• Structural Engineer: Bolton and DiMartino
• Electrical Engineer: ART Engineering
• Landscape Architect: Earth Design
• Civil Engineer: Quinn Engineering
• Acoustical Consultant and Audio-Visual Consultants: Cavanaugh Tocci and Associates
• Parking Garage Design: DESMAN Design Management
• Parking Garage Mechanical Engineer: RW Sullivan Engineering